The labyrinth has been used by Christians since the fourth century as a spiritual aid and symbol of the spiritual journey. The labyrinth depicted here is found in an early eleventh-century copy of Boethius’s Consolation of Philosophy produced at Abingdon Abbey and now in Cambridge University Library. The design seems to date from the time of the Abbey’s abbot Siweard (1030-1044 AD) and may have been produced around the year 1048.


‘It is not too much, for the human beings that we are, to remain before God in contemplative waiting. In such prayer a veil is lifted sometimes placed from what in faith cannot be expressed, herself, and the inexpressible leads to adoration.’

--Brother Roger of Taizé From A Path of Hope